Mir Pace International

Empowering teens to change the lives of the poor and forgotten
through long-term global community building

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hola from Shannon and Charlotte! Today group number one climbed up their mountain to finish putting the walls up on our house! We all found out that hitting things with hammers is really fun... a little too much fun. The family is really starting to warm up to us today especially when they saw we had gum for them. It was really hot but we managed to do it with help from our guide Roberto, who has a lot of patience for us Americans. The way back to our house we were bombarded with a lot of little children who really like to give hugs and take our gum. The kids are the best part of this trip.. they are all up to no good, but their mischevious smiles are too cute. I am having alot of fun, and secretly dont want to come home, sorry family.... Love Shannon :) Tamahu is a beautiful place was my first thought when we drove into the town late saturday night. My second was not to breathe in too deeply, for fear of what I would smell. These people really do need our help and we are trying our best to do so. Today group number 2 (first is the worst, second is the best, right?) finished putting the tin roof on the house and also created a monster out of the little boy by giving him a tennis ball which he promptly began throwing off the walls of the new house. Oops. The family was very shy but today they opened up a little bit more when we gave them handmade bracelets. We are settling into our routine here in town which much to my chagrin has given me time to realize that everything my parents suggested me to bring I actually needed. Who knew I would actually need underwear? Just kidding, Shannon made me write that. But really, sorry Mom and Dad about refusing the coban wrap, the purell, and the bandana, it turns out that you guys know more about packing then I do. Well, Shannon is rashing on me for how long this is so..... Adios! Te amo familia, Charlotte

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! You are all working so hard and fast!!! I can't believe you're already putting the roof on one of the homes! I believe you are setting all time records! Well done! The family(s) must be thrilled too! I'm so proud of each and every one of you, and hope you are also taking time out of your work day to enjoy the people and culture of the mountains and village! Thank you all so very much for giving of yourselves, so selflessly, to help our beloved friends in Tamahu! Stay well and have a blast in these next days. Keep posting too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlotte, Shannon, Daisy and crew in Tamahu! So glad you can make such a positive impact on those around you and have fun too.!! The whole of Scituate is proud of you! We love our bandana-less kid! Love Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete